Friday, May 7, 2010

Theme and Motif: Dreams - Week 19

"Get out your journals you idiots" said my teacher Mrs. Namlig. I reluctantly reached into my backpack for my journal, and as I turned to the next clean page, a thin rubber band fell out onto my lap. I quickly grabbed the rubber band, making sure no one else saw it. Then, once everyone had focused their attention onto their assignment, I withdrew my elastic device. Taking aim at my teacher, I slowly stretched out the band until it had reached its maximum stretching capacity. I then screamed and shot my deadly projectile. Just when my artillery was about to collide with Mrs. Namlig's face, my best friend stood up in front of her to turn in his paper. I screamed again, this time in horror, as I jumped out of my desk, and sprinted towards my friend, in hope of intercepting the rubber band. I was catching up, and just before the rubber band hit my friend, I dove in front of him. I dove to soon, and fell on Mrs. Namlig, killing her instantly. I then turned around just in time to see the rubber bullet blow my friend's head straight off. The elastic killer wasn't done yet, and after barreling through three other students, it smashed into the heat controller on the wall, raising the temperature in the room to 480 degrees Fahrenheit. Everyone else that the rubber band hadn't decapitated caught on fire. Just before the whole room exploded, I jumped out of the window. As I plummeted down a full story to my death, I began counting down to impact. Three...Tw- I woke up on my bedroom floor, still counting down. It took me no time at all to figure out that I was dreaming. I grabbed my backpack and checked my notebook only to find that same rubber band lying in between the pages. I was about to remove it, but then I got hungry and went downstairs.

I would have to say my view on dreams are similar to Mercutio. Dreams are the result of an idle mind and are not linked to reality. Romeo beleives too much that dreams can actually have an impact on your life, and makes most of his choices based on his dreams. This leads Romeo into a very unhealthy relationship, and ultimately his banishment and eventually, death.

2 comments: